Offset, printed in gray, on thin cardboard. Signed, dated and numbered ‘118/150’, titled in the image ‘Der Halfmannshof’. Catalogue raisonné: Butin 16
Image: 29.0 x 42.0 cm
Gerhard Richter took the photograph that was used for this edition sitting in a train from Gelsenkirchen to Düsseldorf.
The artists’ colony Halfmannshof, founded in 1931, had the ambition – in accordance with Bauhaus philosophy – to unite various artists and craftsmen “under one roof”. In 1963, Ferdinand Spindel became the exhibition manager of the Halfmannshof artists’ colony. He succeeded in making the artists’ collective a centre of attraction for people interested in art, not only from Gelsenkirchen but from all over Germany and other European countries. The opening ceremonies in the Halfmannshof were spectacular. The construction of the music theatre between 1957 and 1959 brought avant-garde artists such as Yves Klein, Norbert Kricke and Jean Tinguely to Gelsenkirchen. Even today, the world’s largest works in the famous IKB Blue bear witness to the era when contemporary art was at its peak. The avant-garde artists of that time, like Gerhard Richter, are now worldfamous on the international art market.